MHMC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit clinic providing free medical care for the uninsured or under insured of Hill County. MHMC is comprised of a Medical Advisory Board and conveniently located at 120 East Franklin St., Hillsboro, Texas. Our facility offers free general family medical care, low cost medication information and Spiritual counseling.
MHMC’s hours of operation occur the first (and third) Saturday of each month beginning at 8:00 a.m. Our patients are seen on a first come-first served basis.
MHMC staff are local volunteers comprised of board-certified local physicians and nurses, phlebotomists, medical assistants, clerical staff and spiritual staff. These individuals commit to volunteer outside of their usual medical practices or professions.
Description of the Job
Working as a phlebotomist with MHMC volunteers is a fun and rewarding time! We guarantee you will meet a lot of new patients and other volunteers at each clinic day. As a phlebotomist, you are responsible for drawing blood from patients including children, young adults, adults and elderly patients. Each clinic day varies so sometimes you see a specific age group more than any other.
As a phlebotomist for MHMC, you draw blood from patients and label the blood vials you filled. A few job duties noted below:
- be friendly, courteous and sympathetic with our patients
- centrifuge blood samples
- collect blood samples from patients as ordered by the doctor
- decipher the best method for drawing blood with our patients
- expect patients varying in age and health status
- keep your phlebotomy area well-organized
- label vials with patient names and dates
- practice proper patient identification
- practice infection control standards
- track supplies needed and submit to the Clinic Director